Protein puppy chow is the perfect way to celebrate the holidays. With the dark chocolate and chocolate peanut butter base, this gluten free snack will be sure to make everyone at the party happy. Best of all there is no sugar high to come down off of so kick back and enjoy!
Like I said yesterday, this chocolate peanut butter is seriously divine! There is something about chocolate and peanut butter that just makes me a do a little dance. I’ve been putting chocolate peanut butter on everything, pancakes, oats, in smoothies, and on frozen bananas (hello heaven). But using it as the base for puppy chow has got to be my favorite way to enjoy this peanut butter yet!
Never had puppy chow? Stop everything and go buy some Chex Cereal. You don’t know what you are missing! The original version is peanut butter, butter, melted chocolate coating the cereal and everything blanketed with a coating of powdered sugar. Sounds pretty much like every child’s dream right? Well it’s pretty good, no I take that back it’s addicting. So when I thought about my favorite holiday treats and how to enjoy them with less of the sugar hangover, I immediately knew this would need a healthy makeover for me to enjoy!
As you guys know, I think that adding protein is just the best way to make a snack more filling. Well this is no exception. I made melted chocolate protein sauce and covered the puppy chow in protein powder. It is irresistible. I couldn’t stop eating it when I was taking pictures. I told Dave he needed to take half of this with him to work because I can’t be trusted to eat proper meals when I have this as the alternative. I kept half because this is still a pretty great snack, especially after a brutal lunch workout! I used raw fusion chocolate protein with this recipe.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
- 2 tbs. melted coconut oil
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tbs. cacao powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I used Raw Fusion)
- ½ cup chocolate peanut butter (sugar free)
- 8-9 cups of gluten free Chex Cereal* (I used half Rice and half Corn Chex)
- 3 scoops chocolate protein powder
- *For a vegan option use only Rice Chex.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt dark chocolate chips in 30 second increments (for about 1 minute).
- In a separate dish, melt coconut oil. Mix in cacao and 1 scoop protein powder. Mix until all chocolate powder has been incorporated.
- Add coconut oil mixture to melted chocolate.
- Add chocolate peanut butter to chocolate mixture and mix until everything is incorporated.
- In a large bowl, add Chex cereal.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and mix until all pieces are covered in chocolate.
- Pour cereal into a Tupperware container with a lid. Add protein powder and shake shake shake.
- Shake until all cereal pieces have a thin coating of chocolate protein.
- Refrigerate 5-10 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
If you liked this protein treat check out our other protein recipes!
What about you?
- Do you have a holiday favorite you decided to give a healthy makeover to?
- Have you ever tried Puppy Chow?
- What is your favorite combination of chocolate? Peanut butter, mint or orange?