This paleo artichoke pesto hummus is my current go to snack and I’m not complaining. Grain free, gluten free, vegan, low fat, low calorite and so simple to make, you can make this yummy snack in under 3 minutes! Everyone has time for that right?
This summer Dave and I have been in a bit of a food rut. After closing our healthy catering company, we were both pretty burnt out with all the recipes we were making for that company, since we both ate a ton of the leftovers. One of my favorite dishes was the Paleo Avocado Zucchini Hummus. I still can’t bring myself to make that again. It’s been 3 months. Same goes for the Low Carb Lasagna or the meatballs. Dave told me last night, I want meatballs but not the recipe from The Healthy Dish Co. Poor thing.
I was craving hummus the other day and although I have no problem with traditional hummus made with chickpeas, Dave can’t tolerate most grains, so chickpeas are out. I had a few cans of artichokes in water, and some sktechy looking basil that needed some serious attention. Basil is funny like that, one minute it’s all green and happy and the next minute black and wilted. I digress.
So I started thinking, the original easy paleo artichoke hummus recipe I made was with artichokes, and it was fantastic. So why not take that recipe and add pesto. Ummm genius! You can thank me later! And this recipe is pretty low fat, low calorie and all around delicious!
This hummus is great for dipping veggies in for an afternoon snack. It’s also amazing on sandwiches, on sliced summer tomatoes with a touch of balsamic vinegar and as pasta (or zoodle) sauce. It has an awesome creamy texture, and is filled with healthy Omega-3 fatty acids from the hemp hearts. You could also use sliced almonds or pine nuts in this recipe, but I was trying to keep it allergy friendly for Dave.
You will need a food processor or a high speed blenderto make this recipe. I think a food processor/high speed blender is an essential tool in the healthy person kitchen, and I recommend all my clients have one. That and a good knife, a spiralizer and some decent pots and pans. Granted I have a ton of fun gadgets and tools, the food processor and blender get the most attention in this house!Need a new snack idea? Try this #paleo artichoke pesto hummus #vegan Click To Tweet
- 1 can artichokes in water, drained well
- 1 container organic basil, stems removed
- 1 lemon, juiced (seeds removed)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3 tbs. hemp hearts
- 2-3 tbs. water as needed
- In the food processor, process the drained canned artichokes, about 1 minute. Add the basil and lemon juice and process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the bowl once.
- Add the garlic powder, olive oil, hemp hearts and 2 tbs. water. Process until smooth.
- Add another tbs. or two of water as needed.
- Store in airtight container up to 1 week in the fridge
What about you?
- What are your go to foods when you are in a food rut?
- Have you ever tried a grain free hummus before?
- What is your favorite way to enjoy summer tomatoes?